Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The blog is born

I have wanted to add a blog to this web site for quite a while, but was stymied by the amount of work it would take to code it up. But several weeks ago I read about accessing a blog through an API that is created elsewhere, so I thought I would give it a whirl. I created a blog on Windows Live Spaces and grabbed the RSS feed that it generated. Then I created a web page on www.galleryserverpro.com with an XmlDataSource pointing to the RSS feed and a Repeater that used the XmlDataSource for its data.

Now I can create blog entries through any means supported by Live Spaces (their web tool, Windows Liver Writer, etc.) and the entry automatically appears on the Gallery Server Pro web site. Cool. I am not sure how to handle comments at the moment or what happens as dozens of entries pile up; let's start with basic blog functionality and go from there.

-Roger

No comments: